unsecured wireless connection

Insomnia 23:23 15 Jan 2006

i recently got a laptop which allows me to use wireless internet so decided to swap my dial up for the broadband my flatmates used. so i tried to get on to the (belkin wireless g) router they were using, which went well, but for some reason in the 'wireless network connection' box it says it's unsecure. i've tried to make it a secure link but nothing seems to be working. can anyone help?

mgmcc 23:49 15 Jan 2006

If it is showing as "unsecure", this would suggest that WEP or WPA encryption hasn't been set up in the router. You cannot make your connection secure in isolation from the router and the other users, the whole wireless network needs to be made secure.

Insomnia 23:58 15 Jan 2006

erm... well in theory their computers are but if that wasnt the case how would i be able to change it?

mgmcc 07:43 16 Jan 2006

If the network had already been secured with WEP or WPA encryption, you wouldn't have been able to connect to it without entering the encryption "key" into your laptop.

To set it up, you (or one of the other users) would have to go into the router's wireless settings where there will be options for enabling encryption. Once enabled, each user will have to "connect" to the wireless network again but now entering the encryption key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?