Unsecured vs Secured connection problem.

ve7glr 16:27 09 Nov 2007

I'm beginning to think this is a unique problem. My wi-fi works fine at home, or anywhere else I take my laptop, PROVIDED it is a secure site requiring a password. Taking the laptop to a location where there is an Unsecured connection will result in being connected, but my e-mail and web surfer won't work (I get a cannot connect page). I know my laptop is making the connection because I can see the IP address as a connection, and my SKYPE will work.
I am using Windows XP SP2; Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox; also tried Windows Outlook Express and IE to no avail.
I have tried disabling my firewall, anti-virus, Windows Defender.. no luck.

It seems like there is a program or utility blocking any unsecured connections.
Any suggestions on where to look greatly appreciated.

brundle 16:45 09 Nov 2007

Make and model of laptop? Most have bundled software to `assist` with all kinds of things that Windows can do itself, as you have suggested.

ve7glr 18:11 09 Nov 2007

The laptop is a Gateway MX-7515. I contacted them on a live chat and they gave me a number of things to try but they related to getting the wireless to work, so not helpful. As an example of the problem, if I go to "View Available Networks", I'll see 2 choices. Mine (secured) and my neighbour's (unsecured) I can change back and forth with only mine working. I need this for a trip and on our last trip this worked fine.

Ashrich 22:05 09 Nov 2007

If I remember correctly , as I don't have a wireless XP machine here at the moment , go to " view wireless networks " then on the left side " manage wireless networks " then , I think , " Advanced " there will be a list of things like " ad hoc only , Infrastructure ( or maybe access point ) and a bit that says about connecting to non preferred networks , tick that ( non preferred ) see if that helps .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:21 10 Nov 2007

As it was , I didn't remember correctly , you need to " view wireless networks , then on the left , click on " Change advanced settings " , click on centre tab " wireless networks " then bottom right " Advanced " , tick the box " automatically connect to non preferred networks " and tick the centre option " Access point ( infrastructure ) networks only . See if that helps .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?