unresponsive PC

skye1205 08:01 23 Feb 2004

The O/S on my pc is windows XP which runs smoothly when first put on after it has been on for a while and usually after connection to the Internet for a long period of time the PC decides it doesnt want to open anything ie programmes etc and wont shut down unless reset button is pressed - after a reset everything goes back to normal and happens again when the above is done - I have done the usual scanned for viruses trojons etc. Has any one any idea as it is driving me up the wall and my pc is close to becoming a Hamster cage lol thanks in advance :)

MichelleC 08:59 23 Feb 2004

One way to find out is by elimination of b/ground progs. If you turn off all non-vitals then turn on one by one.

Paranoid Android 09:27 23 Feb 2004

How much RAM do you have ?

Marvin

skye1205 09:40 23 Feb 2004

512DDR RAM all background tasks are just the necessary ones the modem im using for ADSL is a usb powered one being an alcatel speedtouch the other a binatone adsl modem strange thing is i just tried another pc using the modem and that done exactly the same thing its as if the pc is lagged if that makes any sense its totally baffled me i could understand it being the modem if it was just the one but 2 doing the same thing just dont make any sense

MichelleC 09:49 23 Feb 2004

Try reinstalling modem driver.

skye1205 10:43 23 Feb 2004

already tried all that even done a fresh install of windows but still the same :/

MichelleC 12:33 23 Feb 2004

Assuming you've got sp1, try running sfc /scannow, scandisc and defrag.

skye1205 19:59 23 Feb 2004

apparantly according to my isp its a problem with the adsl modem and via chipset that can cause my system to hang or slow down whilst it connects to the isp :/ been told to look for a non via chipset pci card so im off hunting the net lol anyone with any idea where i find em let me know thanks again

skye1205 07:08 24 Feb 2004

right finally discovered what the problem is apparantly my adsl modem has known problems with my usb as its a via chipset usb - i have been informed i need to purchase a lucent pci usb card and that will end all my connectivity problems,the annoying part in all this tho is why was i not told this b4 i signed a contract with my isp and also b4 i purchsed the modem from them but thats another story at least now i know its not my pc as such thanks all for your help in this its much appreciated .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?