Unresponsive Mouse

Eileanbeag 10:37 30 Jul 2003

Please help!!
My mouse will only respond very jerkily and slowly. I have done the obvious and cleaned it but that changed nothing. I have changed ddit for a mouse I know is working fine and it is just the same. I am using Windows ME. Any suggestions?

Wes Tam ;-) 10:45 30 Jul 2003

Eileanbeag does this happen all the time (eg on this page) or only occasionally?

I'm also using ME and have a similar problem when, for example, I'm playing certain card games, but most of the time it's OK.

Eileanbeag 11:28 30 Jul 2003

All the time - began recently - its extremely frustrating!

xania 13:48 30 Jul 2003

How long since the mouse was cleaned?

Open up the base of the mouse and remove the ball. Check and clean all 3 rollers, making sure you remove all the fluff and any rubber marks on the rollers. Give the ball a thorough wipe with a lint free cloth and then put the lot back together.

Jester2K II 13:51 30 Jul 2003

Try changing the mouse mat or surface you are resting on.

Eileanbeag 14:00 30 Jul 2003

Have cleaned mouse thoroughly and bourght a new mouse mat - nothing seems to help

huzzar 15:19 30 Jul 2003

It sounds like something is working really hard in the background.

Eileanbeag 16:19 30 Jul 2003

Only additional background activity is McAfee antivirus - could that b e the problem?

huzzar 16:53 30 Jul 2003

You could rule McAfee AV out by disabling it and other programs running except Explorer and Systray using Ctrl+Alt+Del see if that stops the jerkiness.

I had a similar problem recently, tried reloading new drivers etc, then I remembered it was a cordless, just needed new batteries!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?