Unresponsive keyboard

fuggle 20:39 04 Oct 2006

Hi
Can anyone help. Recently the keyboard failed to respond. I have checked it OK by substitution ((including the connecting cable) and it appears the problem is with the PC. It may be the motherboard (ECS Elite PF21 Extreme) because some time ago the front panel USB outputs on the case failed. The fault could not be cleared by a local dealer, and I was advised there was no output from the USB headers on the board.

If the keyboard fault is in the board, is it feasible to consider a repair, or am I faced with replacing the board.

Totally-braindead 21:02 04 Oct 2006

To be honest if it is the motherboard and you've already had a hardware failure problem then I would seriously consider a new motherboard. If its not a rather good processor you have then I would get something like this click here preferably one with a graphics card slot.

In the meantime if you wish to hold off and you still have USB ports working at the rear and have one spare you could buy a USB keyboard.

fuggle 19:31 05 Oct 2006

Hi
Thanks for the help. The plot has since deepened. I discovered that holding the Shift key down for more than 8 seconds re-activated the keyboard. This has something to do with Stickykeys, Filterkeys and Togglekeys. But the fault re-occurred when I switched the PC on again. I checked the accessibility options settings on my old PC (98SE) and set up my XP Home PC the same. It appears to have cleared the fault. But I would like to know why. I will report back after a few more PC sessions.

fuggle 11:03 14 Oct 2006

Back from the brink. Keyboard OK after several sessions. What a relief. Had visions of changing the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?