unrequested re-boot

Trotter2 20:35 09 Feb 2008

Hi all, hope someone can help me. I think I have an infection on my system. when using computer it keeps re-booting by itself. I'm running Windows XP and have Panda Internet Security 2008, CCleaner, Bazooka, Registry Mechanic, Spywareblaster, Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot and Windows Defender, all of which appear to have missed this attack. I've also run an on-line Activescan from Panda twice, once yesterday when it found three suspicious files and once today when it didn't! I'm confused! how can there b a problem one day and not the next? does this mean there's a problem or not? And if the problem exists why can't I find it today? Does anyone have any suggestions please? Oh, and please try not to be too technical please! thankyou.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 09 Feb 2008

Auto-reboot disable:
When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message.

To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

Post the error message for further help.

Trotter2 20:45 09 Feb 2008

thanks Fruit Bat, will try that and let u know

birdface 21:34 09 Feb 2008

I would get remove Windows defender.It is not needed with the rest of your security programs and may conflict with Panda I/S.

birdface 21:53 09 Feb 2008

One review of Panda I/E click here .Just wondering what Anti-Virus program you had before Panda.

Trotter2 22:01 09 Feb 2008

hi buteman, thanks for input. had Norton before. that was crap too!

birdface 08:58 10 Feb 2008

Hi,Did you use the Norton removal tool to get rid of it .If you just deleted it from Add Remove most of it will still be on your computer.If you did not use the removal tool I would use it now. click here

Trotter2 19:30 13 Mar 2008

thanks buteman, yes I did remove Norton using removal tool. I've done all suggested actions but still have problem, hence it's taken so long for me to get back on forum. Also had cpu cleaned to make sure it's working to highest capacity possible. could it b a hardware problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone