Unrecognized icon in Notification area

Sea Urchin 19:25 24 Jul 2013
Answered

I wonder if anybody recognizes the icon at the left end of the row (and repeated towards the right). This has appeared yesterday, and I cannot link it to anything on my computer. Furthermore it does not respond to any form of clicking with the mouse, so seems to be quite superfluous.

Notification area

I would be most grateful ideas - if I can find out what it is I may be able to find how to remove it.

rdave13 19:35 24 Jul 2013

Looks like a microphone icon?

northumbria61 19:50 24 Jul 2013

I agree with rdave13 but no have no idea how it would get there - haven't seen that before.

rdave13 19:58 24 Jul 2013

I'm going back by memory but can't you either right click the taskbar or the start icon, select properties and find the notification area tab to customize? Might give it a name there?

northumbria61 19:58 24 Jul 2013

Looks like it has something to do with MS Word Language Bar. enter link description here

Nontek 19:59 24 Jul 2013

Try a System Restore back to before that icon appeared.

Sea Urchin 20:15 24 Jul 2013

Many thanks for suggestions. rdave13 the name it is allocated under Properties is I can of course select "Always Hide" but that doesn't tell me what it is!

It doesn't seem to be anything to do with the Language Bar - and I will investigate MS Word to see if I can find mention of a Microphone icon. And if that fails I will resort to Nontek's suggestion of a system restore.

Thanks again.

northumbria61 20:23 24 Jul 2013

Sea Urchin - I will investigate MS Word to see if I can find mention of a Microphone icon.

I had a search in MS Word but couldn't find anything relating to a Microphone Icon.

rdave13 20:26 24 Jul 2013

Search, also, add/ remove for a stranger. Have you downloaded a freebie recently?

Sea Urchin 20:51 24 Jul 2013

No nothing downloaded rdave13

And I have checked in MSConfig Start; Add/Remove; CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller - seems to be nothing there that shouldn't be.

Thanks again for your suggestions

northumbria61 20:58 24 Jul 2013

I am hoping to see an end result for this strange one! Hope the problem is solved for you Sea Urchin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)