Unrecognised CD Writer

avesnes 08:52 22 Dec 2005

My coal & steam powered Gateway Pentium 2 running Win98 has decided not to recognise a HP CD Writer connected to LPT1 in front of the printer. The printer is recognised as is the internal Mitsumi CD Reader. Having sniffed about a bit (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information), I 've found that there is a problem device, namely "Shuttle EPAT External ATAPAdapter for Win9x" and also SCSIAdapter has a Code 10(OXA)problem.

Grateful for any clues or guidance as to how to fix this/these problem/s.

interzone55 09:20 22 Dec 2005

I've never heard of a CD writer that connects via parallel port, surely it'll take an age to write a disk that way.

Anyway, as for solution... Have you enabled EPP through BIOS, this is needed for two way traffic on the parallel port, trouble is, this screws up the drivers for some antique printers.

Also, have you installed drivers and / or writing software?

avesnes 09:29 22 Dec 2005

Alan14,
The original computer was bought in Jan 1998 and the CD Writer (a freebie from a brother-in-law) was added around Easter this year. The latest driver from HP was used and until recently the CD Writer was working OK. Hence the puzzle. By the way, there has never been any problem with the Epson printer.
Regards.

avesnes 15:37 22 Dec 2005

Grateful for any other thoughts on this problem.

avesnes 23:18 22 Dec 2005

I found a slightly older version of relevant driver (exatap9x.mpd) that came with HP software disk. Re-named current(corrupted?) version and copied older version in window\system folder. Rebooted and all working as normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?