Unreadable files

dangerus1 10:12 24 Sep 2014

A friend has a problem, she has a lot of files in Word and Publisher, when she tries to open them she is getting the message "File Conversion" and the resulting file when it opens is unreadable. I don't know enough about Word or Publisher to advise her. Could anyone help?

Woolwell 10:24 24 Sep 2014

Which version of Office is she using?

Suggest a repair of Office. Could use diagnostic tools but that depends on which version.

alanrwood 10:27 24 Sep 2014

Usually Word will only do this if the file format is not recognised as a native one. It will then offer to convert it to a suitable format which can be pre-selected on the menu presented. If it is a Word document and it is converted to shall we say .txt then all the formatting information for Word is also displayed and this can look like garbage but the actual text will probably be there later in the display. Same thing happens if you open a Word document in Wordpad.

I am just a little concerned that if it is an actual Word document this option to convert should not be presented at all which might be explained by the files being a little corrupted.

Woolwell 12:00 24 Sep 2014

The fact that Publisher files are also corrupt concerns me which is why I wonder if Office is corrupted.

alanrwood 18:46 24 Sep 2014

Hi Woolwell

I have a great sympathy with your point of view and it is just possible that you are correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?