UNREAD MESSAGES.

Bonzy 15:04 16 Jan 2006

Hello friends. I have had a yahoo mail address for some years now. I'm sure to have read almost all my mail. However, it appears there's no countdown where it shows the number of unread messages. At the moment it reads "You have 2683 Unread Messages"! That's a fat lie, because I never leave mail unread. How can I configure my Internet Explorer browser such that I'm told the correct number of mail unread? Thanx.

recap 15:10 16 Jan 2006

If you are looking at this number from your ISP's site, then I do not think you can. It would be down to your ISP to update this figure.

mattyc_92 15:53 16 Jan 2006

Are you talking about the notification from the Welcome Screen in Windows XP?

Bonzy 05:47 17 Jan 2006

Yes, my pc runs Win XP Pro as O/S.

Batch 08:53 17 Jan 2006

How do you access your email? E.g. via Outlook Express or via a webmail?

Bonzy 10:16 17 Jan 2006

Via a webmail.

Batch 12:06 17 Jan 2006

The following from microsoft may help:

The logon screen for Fast User Switching shows which users are logged on (a note under
each name indicates the number of programs each has running or, for users who are logged
on but have no programs running, their logon status). In addition, the logon screen displays
the number of unread messages in a user’s Inbox below each user name. To use this feature,
simply start Microsoft Outlook Express or Windows Messenger and leave it running
when you switch users. (If you don’t leave the e-mail program running, Windows continues
to display the number of unread messages that remained when you last closed it.) And if
you don’t like this unread messages feature? Microsoft Knowledge Base article 304148,
“Overview of the Mail Notification Display on the Windows XP Welcome Screen,” at http://
support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304148 explains how to disable it with a registry edit.

mattyc_92 12:44 17 Jan 2006

Start->Run and type in "regedit" but without quotations....
Next, navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\"
Here you will see another "key" which is labelled as your e-mail address... Click onto it
Now on the right-hand panel, double click the "MessageCount" key and type in "0" (again, without quotations).

Now, you should notice that if you log off, you will no longer have this notification.

Skills 15:36 17 Jan 2006

Or download tweak UI from the xp powertoys website and theres an option to turn off unread mail notification click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?