unprotect excel workbook

djbenny 10:47 24 Jul 2008

i havetried various macro's etc but soon as i open the excel file it comes up with enter password so i cant even click on the tools menu etc to click unprotect. it is needed urgenly for a collegue

nosharpe 12:40 24 Jul 2008

Sounds like the file is protected in Visual Basic for added protection.
Your best bet is to run a search for this in Google.

Covergirl 12:56 24 Jul 2008

I don't think it's Excels Protection that's at work here, more like (as nosharpe says) it's some form of external protection.

In my limited knowledge of Excels protection features, you can usually open the workbook but not change any data.

Our systems are protected by permissions on folders, and the only time we'd get a Enter Password message is if the network went down.

I'd be interested to follow this so will keep an eye on it for the solution.

xania 13:22 24 Jul 2008

Find the file in Windows Explorer and right click the icon, chose proterties and check the permissions tab.

jaraba 13:36 24 Jul 2008

I had forgotten the pasword to a spreadsheet & some one on here gave me a link to a program which unprotected the spreadsheet.
Will try & find the file I downloaded & if I do I will email it to you.

VoG II 15:37 24 Jul 2008

If it is protected by VBA hold down the Shift key then try double-clicking on the protected file to open it.

Or open a blank Excel workbook, Tools > Macros > Macro security and select High or Disable (depending on version) then close Excel and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?