unplug modem to get back on line

Fred the flour grader 19:20 17 Sep 2006

Hi Guys,

I have installed the TalkTalk internet package on my mother in law's PC. It is very fast when it works, much faster than my Blueyonder BB connection. It was a fairly problematic installation with various problems such as a faulty disc and not being allowed to run the talktalk security software, (two discs would not load it).
After getting the internet working, everything seemed fine. I downloaded AVG free then rebooted, all seemed ok but the internet would not work. I took AVG off but the problem was still there. I eventually found I had to unplug the usb cable connecting to the modem out and reinsert it to get the net back on. I put AVG back on and the problem is still there. If I shut down the PC, when it is rebooted it needs this cable unplugged and put back in to get the net to work.
Does anybody have any ideas what this would be?
It's running win98se with plenty of ram and a good sized hard drive, any help much appreciatted.....thanks in advance...Fred

STREETWORK 19:43 17 Sep 2006

It would look like the drivers for the modem are not installed properly. what modem does TT use. Find it on the net and download new drivers...

Jak_1 19:43 17 Sep 2006

This happens with my brother-in-law's modem to (with talktalk), I have not yet found a solution.

Fred the flour grader 19:55 17 Sep 2006

Hi guys,

It uses a talktalk speedtouch 330 thomson telecom modem. It's interesting Jak_1 has come across this problem!

Rtus 20:12 17 Sep 2006

Actually I have this intermittantly .Same modem & Talktalk .It doesnt activate every time on boot-up. I just wait & replug then log-on. Its a modem /or chipset problem .I havent found out yet.What will cure it ,However This particular usb modem will be dumped when I go Wireless in a couple of weeks, If I get time to setit all up after refurbing the house

bluto1 20:22 17 Sep 2006

Boot up and do not activate BB.
De activate both AV and firewall ( you`re not on the internet so you`re ok to do this)
Uninstall your modem drivers and probably your ISP as well. Now disconnect your modem and if necessary any telephone in the same filter. Reboot, again staying off the web and reinstall your ISP and modem. Now switch your firewall and AV programme back on and you should connect properly.
I`ve had to do this with Tiscali and a Thompson 330
speed-touch because I hadn`t followed the simple instruction of switching off all other active processes. I hope it works for you,as it did for me.

Fred the flour grader 20:29 17 Sep 2006

bluto1,

thanks for that, I will give it a try tomorrow as my mother in law lives a couple of miles away. I may of done all you have suggested and there is no firewall as I can't find a free one for her which runs on 98se. I may of not done what you have suggested though in the particular order you have suggested.
Thanks once again....Fred

Stuartli 22:53 17 Sep 2006

This version of free ZoneAlarm supports Windows 98SE:

click here

Stuartli 22:54 17 Sep 2006

TalkTalk's first Connect 'n Go installation disk sent to me (followed by several other proper versions) was a Sony CD-R with the software burned onto it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?