Unnecessary programmes

DWYRYD 12:14 25 Apr 2003

Having switched on my computer and then pressing ctr+alt+delete I find that the following programmes are running in the background:Controller, Atdialler1, Msnmgr, Realplay. Swtray, Loadqm, Rundll32, Point32, Findfast, Osa, Starter, Systray
What are they? Do I need them? If not, where do I find them? How can I close them permanently?

MartinT-B 12:28 25 Apr 2003

Which OS have you got.

Some of them are programs - for instance, realplay = Real Player and I think msnmgr is MS Messenger.

In 98 you could close all except explorer and systray, but try right clicking prorams in your systemtray (bottom right) and closing them.

Go to start ---> Run and type in msconfig. Choose the startup tab.

Uncheck all the programs that you don't want to start when the PC boots up.

Gaz 25 12:34 25 Apr 2003

ATDIALLER1

Not good, download, click here to remove the bad entry, also Findfast is not good as well, and therefore you should remove, so not close the programs from Task mngr it will cause more problems.

I promise you what the Spybot program will find needs getting shut of.

Regards,
Gaz

fazer 12:36 25 Apr 2003

If you visit click here the site will scan your computer and addition to other (quite useful) information, will tell you what background programmes you are running, whats unnecessary, and importantly - how to switch them off.

Hope this helps

Bebee 12:59 25 Apr 2003

This site always turns up with this sort of question click here
It tells you what most startup progs are and if you need them or are likely to want them. I found it really useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone