Unmountable_Boot_Volume on XP home edition

2stroketim 18:40 26 Sep 2006

Hi Everyone, Hope you might be able to help on this one, my daughters pc (AMD Duron 1300mhz running XP home edition) whilst doing a live update on Norton there was a power cut, when switched the pc back on it comes up with the message Unmountable_Boot_Volume then goes into a blue screen with the usual mesages about going into safe mode etc as the pc was not shut down properly however what ever option I take it the blue screen is still there and then lists several of the the following lines :
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partion(1)after that it lists
C:\windows\system32 "" "" "" and lists each file within the system 32 directory-

Also It won't allow me to access the setup via the del key during boot up
Can anyone shed any light on this please ?
Many thanks

VoG II 18:50 26 Sep 2006

click here - damaged file system click here

Using Recovery Console click here

2stroketim 16:49 27 Sep 2006

Just one other question VOG has kindly sent a link but how do I use the recovery option on the xp cd if during boot up I'm unable to access the bios or boot sequence or it won't allow me to access the setup via the del key during boot up ?
Thanks in anticipation

VoG II 18:30 27 Sep 2006

Does it say press DEL to enter5 setup? There are other keys for doing this click here (ignore the bit about parallel ports).

2stroketim 19:57 27 Sep 2006

yes it does say press DEL to enter setup however even when pressing the delete key (presume this what they mean) the boot up still caries on ignoring my command

VoG II 20:29 27 Sep 2006

To be perfectly honest I do not know for sure if the following will work but worth a try I think:

Download the set of 6 bootup floppies click here

Start the PC with the first floppy in the drive. You should be prompted to feed in the other floppies and finally the CD. Then follow the instructions at click here

2stroketim 11:52 29 Sep 2006

Thanks..this worked a treat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?