UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME *READ*

puddylump 20:41 11 Feb 2010

Hi there.

I am using Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Inspiron1011 Mini. Today it was behaving rather oddly, I first noticed this when I took it out of standby and it shut down by itself. I started it up later that night, to find that I had the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) with the error message: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I restarted the computer and decided to try it in safe mode. No joy. Error still came up. Then I tried Safe Mode with Networking. Nothing changed. Desperate, I tried in Command Prompt. It still came up!

My netbook does NOT have a CD-ROM drive on it, so I can't use the disc to resolve it.

I really don't wanna lose everything on the HardDrive.. :(

Is there anything I can do?

[It IS in guarantee.]

Thanks

-|Puddylump|-

MAT ALAN 20:52 11 Feb 2010

My netbook does NOT have a CD-ROM drive on it, so I can't use the disc to resolve it.

You will need to take it to your local PC shop so they can.

any advice on here will probably involve the bit you haaven't got by putting a disc in it and trying a repair from the recovery console.
much to the point in case of catastrophic failure how would you reload your chosen O/S...

Strawballs 01:21 12 Feb 2010

They normally have a hidden partion with the recovery files on it.

Strawballs 01:24 12 Feb 2010

I think Dell is press F8 during boot and it is one of the options, but unmountable boot volume is quite often a dead hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 12 Feb 2010

click here

It means you have to boot from a USB drive (USB CD) to do a repair using Chkdsk

You can make a bootable USB drive and copy BArtPE to use an a repair tool to the drive all is explained
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 12 Feb 2010

Or
put your netbook drive into a USB caddy and attach to your other computer and run disk checking from that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017