unmountable boot volume with a twist

awest3 09:13 06 Feb 2008

Just started the PC and got the dreaded UBV msg (I'm writing this on a latop I'm fixing)..been through most of the threads but they assume you can boot from the installation disk in the CD..I've changed the boot up sequence so that it goes to the CD and asks it if its ok to boot from CD..I reply ok and I'm then back to the UBV..I have not installed any new hardware or software. I have a Dell Dimension 5000 3gig mem lots of disk space...XP HE with SP2.
Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Al

awest3 09:19 06 Feb 2008

hold on this for a moment please...I thought I'd give the boot from HE install disk one me go..the tenth and its seems to allowing me to get into recovery mode...will now try to check the disk etc..

Al

awest3 09:54 06 Feb 2008

Its now checing the disk...seems to be slow process..firt 40% in a couple of minutes..then after 30 mins we are at 60%

awest3 19:07 07 Feb 2008

well, everything seems back to normal. The recovery worked after the system recognised the XP HE on the eleventh try....I thought I'd try a FIXMBR on the disk but it came back with a strange msg about the MBR being non-standard and that if I went ahead it might make the whole disk unreadable...Whats that all about..? anyway I replied no and it started as normal with nothing lost....I have quickly taken new Acronis backups..last one was November..so I assume thats that.!.Thanks for all the tips from the various threads I have read over this problem, they helped a great deal...

Al

Technotiger 19:25 07 Feb 2008

Glad you got it sorted - and thanks for all the feedback, may well come in handy for someone else in the future.

awest3 18:17 12 Feb 2008

fixed..thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?