unmountable boot volume

smy13 20:15 04 Dec 2006

Hi all
I'm getting the above error on my son's Laptop
I've been to Microsoft and found the following item that might help click here however I can't get the laptop to boot from the CD Rom Drive
Any ideas anyone ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 04 Dec 2006

You need to change boot order in BIOS
Make moel of laptop?
Flloppy drive?
6 floppy boot disks click here

smy13 20:45 04 Dec 2006

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/
it's a Dell Inspirion 6000 with just a CD/DVD combi Drive no floppy I'm afraid

smy13 21:02 04 Dec 2006

Thought I'd keep this updated in case this info could help anyone else in the future
Managed to get into the BIOS by keeping the F2 Key pressed down while the machine was booting. changed the setting to boot from the CD drive and got into the Recovery console .it's currently about 50% through the CHKDSK check. Does this usually take so long to complete ( been running 10 Min's so far)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:06 04 Dec 2006

Yes chkdsk can take quite awhle depending on the size of the disk.

smy13 21:33 04 Dec 2006

chkdsk failed to fix the problem it found two unrecoverable errors. Have just run the fixboot command and created a new boot partition (apparently!!). machine still failed to boot. running chkdsk again. click here
just read here about a similar issue that seems to be caused by InCD and maybe Windows defender, both of which my son has installed. Well chkdsk has just finished again and no go. I think my only option is to do a full restore. Bang goes my son's German homework !!!!

skidzy 21:41 04 Dec 2006

Have you tried tapping F11 on startup,just an idea,but if you have the restore facility on a separate partition (as Dell's sometimes do) this will give 3 options to recover.One of these is non-destructive,so you may be lucky and save some of the files.

smy13 21:56 04 Dec 2006

Thanks Skidzy

I've gave that a go and no joy I'm afraid it's going to be the nasty option and go for a complete install

skidzy 22:02 04 Dec 2006

click here
click here

click here

maybe some help in these,good luck.

LastChip 22:07 04 Dec 2006

At the command prompt type:

fixmbr [enter]

and see if that helps.

smy13 22:45 04 Dec 2006

thanks Guy's

even a complete re-install won't work from reading the articles skidzy has provided it looks like the HDD is US. luckily there's a month left on the warranty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017