Unknown zip files on hard drive ?

ianeon 15:15 02 Nov 2007

Good morning - I have discovered sixty-nine, unknown, zip files on my local disc(C:). Each one is of a different size and name I wondered if I could delete them - Their name always starts with a date and then a list of letters and numbers. Examples of which are "APR 2005_d3dx9_25x64" and "FEB 2006_d3dx9_29_x86". Mr Google suggests that they may have something to do with DirectX - As I am very ignorant in these matters I would love some help with this - Thank you for your time - Ian

johnnyrocker 15:21 02 Nov 2007

do you have win rar installed?

johnny.

skidzy 15:30 02 Nov 2007

Have you installed any games ?
This looks like some of the Dll's from the game installation !

I maybe wrong of course.

ianeon 15:49 02 Nov 2007

SKIDZY - I'm not a gamer so I don't think it could be that.
JOHNNYROCKER - I have winrar installed - I opened a couple of these zip files and they contain things ending in ".dll" ."inf" ".cat"

skidzy 15:53 02 Nov 2007
  ianeon 16:05 02 Nov 2007

SKIDZY - Thank you for that lead - It looks like what I have is needed to play games and may have something to do with Direct X - However.... lol - as I don't know what I'm doing I will ask my original question again - can I delete these, or do I need them for normal running of my comp? and I thought that they would have to be unzipped to be used? - Thank you

Technotiger 16:14 02 Nov 2007

Hi, I suggest that you delete the lot. If needed for any other program on your pc, it would be a simple matter to re-download and install DirectX again.

ianeon 16:52 02 Nov 2007

Thank you people - I have copied all the zips and deleted them - so far so good everything seems to be working correctly

Technotiger 16:58 02 Nov 2007

OK - I don't see any reason why things should not stay that way. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros