Unknown usb device

Cockney Rebel 18:23 11 Mar 2008

Evening all,
When I switched my pc on this evening amessage appeared that said "one of the usb device connected isn,t working properly"I looked in device manager and there is an entry for "unknown device"Have checked and reseated all usb connections.The problem appears to be with my Western Digital external hard drive as it is not listed in My Computer.I cannot see any files on it.Any suggestions would be helpful as to how I can go about finding out exactly whats wrong.Would it be worth re installing it perhaps.Thanks in advance for any help received.

Ashrich 18:30 11 Mar 2008

Does it have drivers ? or is it just recognised as an extra drive ...whichever , I would suggest reinstalling it , and see if Windows recognises it correctly this time .

Ashley

Cockney Rebel 20:18 11 Mar 2008

Thanks for your reply.Have removed original software and switched pc on etc but it still does not recognise the external drive.I,ve also tried another usb lead an no difference.Tried plugging drive into another usb port and a message appeared saying it would work faster in an usb 2.o port??Tried a camera in the original port used and the camera was recognised ok.Now assuming problem is with the drive itself.Any one able to advise further please.

Technotiger 20:22 11 Mar 2008
  Cockney Rebel 06:49 12 Mar 2008

Thanks for the reply.Afew minutes after my previous post lo and behold the drive appeared again and I could read the files on it.By this time I had uninstalled the software for it but was able to obtain new from Western Digital.So far this morning all is ok.Will monitor for a couple of days in case of more probs.Thanks again

Technotiger 08:49 12 Mar 2008

OK, thanks for the feedback.

Cockney Rebel 06:50 13 Mar 2008

Hi all,
Have had no further problems so will now close this topic.Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone