Unknown message on restarting PC

ponytail 08:59 26 Feb 2014

I get the following message every time I restart the PC.

Did you know you have free PC backup on your computer Regular backups will help protect your files in the event of a hard drive crash.

OK Have not opened it and has anyone seen this message,can I stop it appearing and is it dangerous

wee eddie 09:11 26 Feb 2014

Well, did you know that W7 has its own Tool.

Do you backup your PC?

Jollyjohn 11:29 26 Feb 2014

Go Start type "msconfig" in the search box Enter Select start up items look for PC Backup and take the tick out the box.

Reboot and the message should have gone.

Now go to control panel Uninstall a program and uninstall PC backup.

ponytail 14:16 26 Feb 2014

Hi jollyjohn Have done what you suggested as far as going into control panel and selecting uninstall the program.I right clicked on the program selected uninstall and that ten minutes ago have just right clicked it again and it says please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed it is still waiting now over ten minutes.When I rebooted the PC the message did not appear

Jollyjohn 15:30 26 Feb 2014

OK. You could download and install Ccleaner and see if that completely un installs the program. Your PC is ok now, just watch what you download and agree to. :)

Batch 13:11 27 Feb 2014

It looks like you may have installed a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), possibly installing something else has also installed this PUP.

john bunyan 13:32 27 Feb 2014

I find that Malawarebytes (Free) sometimes find the PUP's to which Batch refers. I would suggest that if you do not already have it, you download and run it.Be careful from where you download programmes; I have found CNet , for example, often adds PUP's. I like Filehippo for a Malawarebytes download see:

Malawarebytes

Woolwell 14:37 27 Feb 2014

I guess that this has been resolved. See post yesterday at 2.16 pm "the message did not appear". ponytail rarely if ever ticks a thread and feedback is also poor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?