"unknown hard error"

wobblymike 08:54 07 Sep 2003

can anyone offer me any guidance on what the system message "unknown hard error" might mean?
It happens at irregular intervals, my PC freezes and up come the message, if I reboot its ok until the next time.
rgds
wobblymike

powerless 08:56 07 Sep 2003

What operating system are you using?

...and is that the whole message you are getting?

Lozzy 08:57 07 Sep 2003

SYMPTOMS
The following STOP message appears when a critical system file or other file needed to load Windows is corrupted:

STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error
<path>\<file name>
Alternatively, the error may read as follows:

STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error
c:\winnt\system32\ntdll.dll (or other specific file/driver)
In Windows 2000 the error reads as follows:

STOP: 0xC0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH
<path>\<file name>
This error can appear in many different formats, ranging from a blue system error screen to a dialog box. The type of format depends on how much of the operating system was loaded when the corrupted file was detected.
CAUSE
If you receive this error message, the file listed in the error message is corrupted.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, you need to either obtain a new copy of the file or reinstall Windows. If reinstallation fails to solve the problem, a hardware or network problem may exist.

Lozzy 08:58 07 Sep 2003

click here This is another way to poss resolve

wobblymike 09:03 07 Sep 2003

Powerless - I'm using Win 2K pro and thats the whole message there is no Stop message or error code - all I get is "Unknown hard Error"

Lozzy - Thanks but this is not what I am getting I'm afraid, any oter thoughts would be welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?