Unknown Graphics Card.

Lemur 22:49 14 Dec 2005

I have been trying to use Google Earth but, having downloaded it, when I try to go into it, I get the error message "Unknown Graphics Card". A) How can I find out what my G.C is? and B) What can I do to get round the problem? For your information, I am on XP. I have changed my resolution to 1024 x 768 as recommended.Thanks.

VoG II 22:51 14 Dec 2005
  Lemur 23:15 14 Dec 2005

Thanks VoG. A mine of information has emerged but, having searched for the terms "Graphics Card" "Video card" and "Video adapter" "video accelerator", there appears not to be anything. What other terms could I try please? Also, what heading would the G.C be under?

Skills 02:32 15 Dec 2005

Try everest click here

keef66 16:04 15 Dec 2005

What does it say in device manager under display adapters?
(right click on my computer,>manage,>device manager)

I had some difficulty identifying the graphics card in an older pc I acquired from a colleague. Neither Belarc nor Everest would tell me enough about it, and in the end I resorted to taking it out and doing the detective work based on it's appearance and what little was printed on it. (Turned out to be a 3DFX voodoo 3) I was then able to find and download the correct drivers for it.

Lemur 18:02 15 Dec 2005

Thank you all, especially keef66 who was spot on for my problem. FYI., my GC is Matrox Marvel G450. All is now well and I am enjoying Google Earth - well worth the effort. A valuable by-product of the exercise is that I now also have a very interesting and potentially useful detailed specification of my computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?