Unknown files.

AcidBurn7uk 12:33 29 Jul 2004

I noticed the other day, that in the root of my c:\ drive there are loads of files that windows doesn;t reconize the extension for. Nortin AV, ad-aware and spybot show all clean. Tried disk cleanup, and tried to delete them manually. When I tried to manually delete them, it said that one of the files was in use by another program, so couldn't be deleted, as a result it couldn't delete any files past that point.

There is a screenshot: click here (My site, checked the file with av, its clean!)

Does anybody know which program it is that is generating these files? I wouldn't mind one or two of them, but the list is growing and it is now at 56!!

cga 12:37 29 Jul 2004

Don't know what your screen resolution was but I cannot read your screen shot. I can just make out your Icons and that the files seem to all be 0kb but, other than that, I cannot make anything out.

cga 12:38 29 Jul 2004

A file details view would be preferable.

canard 13:00 29 Jul 2004

ProcessView or EnditAll will show you what's running with the option to kill [stop] anything you want to delete. So if you have an unknown prog running you can get rid.

AcidBurn7uk 17:46 29 Jul 2004

sorry CGA, the screen resolution is 1024 x 768, however, I have just taken another screen shot with details view at 800x600. If you have Internet explorer 6 or firefox, you can click the image to enlarge it - but anyhow the other file is uploading now. It is @ click here

canard - I am looking at them progs now, but since I don't know what program it is that is generating them, I can't end it.

Dorsai 18:18 29 Jul 2004

They do look a bit like temp. files. All start with t. and consecutivly numbered. but that is just a hunch

Androcles 18:46 29 Jul 2004

I think Dorsai could be right but download this and try it first click here
CCleaner - Crap Cleaner software download

AcidBurn7uk 19:32 29 Jul 2004

OK, downloaded enditall, ended all, and then was able to delete all files. Great, untill I restarted. Now there are to files back there called t110 and t110.1

Just ran CCleaner (great app, thanks Androcles), but that turned up nothing.

Also just had a thought. A few weeks ago I had the netSky virus (not sue which varient). Could this be some sort of "after effect". Just an idea.

AcidBurn7uk 19:42 29 Jul 2004

may have cracked it.

Just thought I would end a few processes before I played a game, and as I ended mySQL, the 2 files disappeared! Co-incidence? Restarted, 2 files back there but were called t111 and t111.1, ended mySQL, and again they disappeared. So I think Dorsai was correct about them being temp files. Because I trust mySQL I am not to bothered about stopping them, however it would be nice.

Because I am satisfied with this I will "resolve" the thread, but if anybody has any ideas on how to stop them, as I said, it would be nice to know.

Thanks for your help guys and guy-esses (if any of you are indeed guy-esses)

Androcles 19:45 29 Jul 2004

OK,now download this click here
Wash N' Go - Reviews and free downloads at Download.com this only a free 30 day trial,and be careful what you delete with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?