Unknown e-mail addresses

Trikie 21:28 08 Nov 2006

I have 2 distribution lists with a total of 150 addresses. Whenever I use them i get a number of messages from System Administrator and Mail Delivery System listing undeliverable messages. Many of the address shown are not even in my address book - how can I get rid of them?

Jackcoms 21:40 08 Nov 2006

Is this spam?

Trikie 21:48 08 Nov 2006

I don't know. They are obviously somewhre in my computer but not in the addresses. I delete any unrecognised messages without opening them so wonder where they came from

Jak_1 22:09 08 Nov 2006

It is spam, there is a spate of them at the moment, just delete and certainly do not reply to them.

Trikie 22:44 08 Nov 2006

I'm getting a bit confused. Are you saying that the System Administrator and Mailk Delivery System messages are spam? Some of them include what were valid e-mail address but that the owner has changed to something else but not told me - ie they are genuine non-deliverable messages. The phantom ones appear in the same message so I am pretty sure that my computer is sending to them.

spiker 23:53 09 Nov 2006

Sometimes what is happening is that the "public" email address that you send your message to is then forwarding the message on to the "real" address maybe multiple email addresses that the recipient set up and then one of those bounces and the bounce exposes other email addresses that belong to the recipient. I sometimes find this happen when I write to certain universities: they forward the message to multiple accounts.

Trikie 23:57 09 Nov 2006

Thanks Spiker. Obviously nothing I can do except ignore and delete the System Administrator and Mail Delivert messages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?