Unknown device driver keeps causing reboot

rjs_01 15:50 29 Mar 2006

I keep getting unexpected reboots on my machine, mainly when I am downloading Podcasts through iTunes (although it has happened during normal browsing). It has got worse recently and I struggle to download a whole Podcast before a crash.

When the machine restarts the Microsoft error report says it was caused by an unknown device driver. I just can't think what driver that would be.

How to I tackle fixing this problem - I don't know where to start.

(My PC WinXP.)

Thanks

rsinbad 16:31 29 Mar 2006

is this error in the event veiwer?

rsinbad 16:35 29 Mar 2006

to see ,rght click on my computer select manage then veiw event errors see what info you get.

rjs_01 19:54 29 Mar 2006

Thanks. Right. I've reviewed the (very long list) and occurences from yesterday when it kept crashing are:

------------------------
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at click here.
------------------------

------------------------
The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

------------------------

------------------------
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

------------------------

What do I do next? Thanks

rsinbad 20:18 29 Mar 2006

look in device manager for unknown device. rght click my computer/properties/device manager/unknown or any yellow ? marks

ACOLYTE 20:24 29 Mar 2006

Have you tried reinstalling your motherboard drivers?

rsinbad 20:25 29 Mar 2006

check drive for errors, rght click c drive/properties/tools/check for volume errors

woodchip 20:26 29 Mar 2006

In XP right click "My Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager" look for yellow icons

rjs_01 22:20 29 Mar 2006

There are no yellow marks next to any devices.

I have just run the check for volume errors - couldn't see the result as it didn't stay on screen long enough.

Do those error reports I posted mean anything to anyone?

woodchip 22:23 29 Mar 2006

What you could do as Hard disc Controler drivers are on Motherboard CD, you could go to the Motherboard Site and look for EIDE updates

rjs_01 22:31 29 Mar 2006

Woodchip - How do I know what motherboard I have and what site to go to for EIDE update?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?