Unknown device driver keeps causing reboot

rjs_01 15:50 29 Mar 2006

I keep getting unexpected reboots on my machine, mainly when I am downloading Podcasts through iTunes (although it has happened during normal browsing). It has got worse recently and I struggle to download a whole Podcast before a crash.

When the machine restarts the Microsoft error report says it was caused by an unknown device driver. I just can't think what driver that would be.

How to I tackle fixing this problem - I don't know where to start.

(My PC WinXP.)

Thanks

rsinbad 16:31 29 Mar 2006

is this error in the event veiwer?

rsinbad 16:35 29 Mar 2006

to see ,rght click on my computer select manage then veiw event errors see what info you get.

rjs_01 19:54 29 Mar 2006

Thanks. Right. I've reviewed the (very long list) and occurences from yesterday when it kept crashing are:

------------------------
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at click here.
------------------------

------------------------
The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

------------------------

------------------------
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

------------------------

What do I do next? Thanks

rsinbad 20:18 29 Mar 2006

look in device manager for unknown device. rght click my computer/properties/device manager/unknown or any yellow ? marks

ACOLYTE 20:24 29 Mar 2006

Have you tried reinstalling your motherboard drivers?

rsinbad 20:25 29 Mar 2006

check drive for errors, rght click c drive/properties/tools/check for volume errors

woodchip 20:26 29 Mar 2006

In XP right click "My Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager" look for yellow icons

rjs_01 22:20 29 Mar 2006

There are no yellow marks next to any devices.

I have just run the check for volume errors - couldn't see the result as it didn't stay on screen long enough.

Do those error reports I posted mean anything to anyone?

woodchip 22:23 29 Mar 2006

What you could do as Hard disc Controler drivers are on Motherboard CD, you could go to the Motherboard Site and look for EIDE updates

rjs_01 22:31 29 Mar 2006

Woodchip - How do I know what motherboard I have and what site to go to for EIDE update?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone