Unknown device connecting to my wifi

d_beauregard069 02:59 12 May 2017
Answered

Hi,

I have noticed in my modem logs that a device not belonging to me is connecting to my wifi. Here is what the logs of my modem show: "A WiFi device <00:06:34:34:32:33> has successfully connected to SSID (name of my network)." I did a quick search about this MAC and found that it belongs to GTE Airfone Inc. I have no devices sold by this company and have control of all the wireless devices in my network, I also have MAC address filtering enabled. It happened right after changing my SSID and increasing the complexity of my wireless password. I use WPA2-PSK (AES). Any orientation will be appreciated.

Secret-Squirrel 08:49 12 May 2017

I have no devices sold by this company....................

You're mistaken. A MAC address refers to the manufacturer of the device's network adapter - not the device itself.

Because you've recently changed the password then the device is almost certainly one of yours.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:36 12 May 2017

Probably one of your own

I've recently had internet problems and now have a new router and two of my devices a smart phone and my Humax box come up as unknown devices.

d_beauregard069 11:39 12 May 2017

Thank you for your replies guys. I turned off all the devices connecting wireless to my network which rules out the possibility of being my own devices. I also manually checked the MAC addresses and none of them has this one. Thank you for the clarification about the MAC, you're right. I explored a bit more the logs and even though the list shows this device as connected to my SSID, it doesn't seem to get an IP address and doesn't appear in the list of devices that have had a connection into my network as other devices do. It only appears in my modem logs in the advanced options. Thanks again for your help.

difarn 22:46 12 May 2017

Just a shot in the dark, do you have a smart meter installed that could be causing the problem. I know that they are supposed to use the mobile GSM network but there a Google search brings up quite a few similar instances to yours.

Another thought is could a neighbour, or visitors, erroneously be trying to log into your router?

d_beauregard069 04:54 13 May 2017

@difarn: Thank you for replying. I don't have smart meters. I think probably it's a neighbour trying to connect. I find strange that the log shows the device as "connected" successfully even two minutes after changing my SSID/password and I'm using a strong password. I will start using tools like Angy IP scanner to identify the device when it will connect to my network and post an update if I can find it.

BT 08:26 13 May 2017
Answer

I had a Sky Q device listed on my network the other day. Not mine as I don't have Sky. It disappeared on refreshing.

Bris 11:29 13 May 2017

Apparently these are known as ghost devices and are logged by your router when a device tries to connect even though it fails. I had the same problem and found that they come and go so nothing to worry about as long as you have the necessary security in place.

Bris 12:00 13 May 2017

Some further reading here, courtesy of Tomshardware forum.

Its worth reading the whole of the thread.

d_beauregard069 16:41 15 May 2017

Hi Bris, Thank you for your reply, you're right it seems to be devices trying to connect to my network. I think they fail because they shortly stay connected -go to disconnected within seconds. The only strange thing is my router saying "device connected successfully" it seems to require a firmware upgrade to show the right information. My network scanners are not showing any unauthorized devices in my network. Thank you all for your replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires