University laptops

gwhitey 22:29 15 Aug 2005

My son is shortly starting university and requests have been made for a new laptop.my initial thought was to wait until he gets there and find out what advise he can get from the university. naturally he wants the latest complete with all available bells and whistles. my inclination is for a basic robust and highly unintesting(to thieves)model.

Any advice would be most welcome.

powerless 22:32 15 Aug 2005
  Completealias 02:08 16 Aug 2005

Make sure you get the laptop covered with insurance you will probably be able to put it as a specified item on your house insurance mine is and is covered any where in the uk for theft/accidental damage/loss.

What course is your son going to be doing, if its computing / 3d modelling or something along those lines then he will probably need a powerful bit of kit.

If not and he will just be needing it for typing essays and accessing the internet then you won't need such high specs.

Will he be wanting to take it to uni to do work there if so battery life could well be important.

As you say thou a well built laptop will be much better than something thats gonna fall apart after you've used it for a couple of months.

Jackcoms 08:20 16 Aug 2005

Visit the University's website.

A lot of them have pages devoted to the ideal laptop and other equipment needed whilst studying with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?