Universal Docking Station for laptop

JenRation 15:06 02 Jun 2015

Hi, I am looking for a universal docking station for my computers. I have two and would like a universal docking station to connect peripherals. The reason I plan to get one is to avoid the pain of attaching the cables each time I want to move around. I have 3 external hard drives and a mouse that I want to plug into the docking station so that I just need to release the computer from the docking station instead of the four other cables. Looking forward to your advice on the best available solutions. Will docking stations affect the speed of transferring data to these drives?

northumbria61 13:25 05 Jun 2015

This should be suitable for your needs - other brands are available.

Targus Universal USB 3.0 Docking Station

Targus

northumbria61 13:28 05 Jun 2015
  Secret-Squirrel 17:08 05 Jun 2015

I have 3 external hard drives and a mouse.............

Is that all? If it is then you don't need an expensive docking station. What you need is a powered USB hub like this one. You can get it even cheaper if you need less ports or just USB2.

Will docking stations affect the speed of transferring data to these drives?

It's difficult to say but I would have thought a laptop would only have one physical USB controller so the hub wouldn't make any difference to the performance. At just £20 or so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it doesn't perform as you'd hoped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?