Unistalling a driver in Windows XP

jz 20:04 03 Jan 2006

I have a PC with Windows XP and a Canon LIDE 50 scanner. Scanning used to work well, but now I get an error mid-way through scanning. It works fine on another PC, so I thought I'd uninstall the driver and install the latest version that I can download from the web.

I know how to do this in Windows 98, but how do I do this in Windows XP?

Stuartli 20:08 03 Jan 2006

Go to Device Manager>highlight your scanner>>right click>Properties>Driver tab.

You can now use the Install New Driver facility to install the new driver from where you Saved the download.

madPentium 20:09 03 Jan 2006

if the drivers you download are in an .exe, then I usually just run it so it overwrites the old.
Else, you can go into device manager (click start, right click my computer, left click properties, hardware tab) and go into the scanner properties for the driver and select update driver.
Most scanner drivers are an exe though.

jz 20:29 03 Jan 2006

Thanks for your replies. I've already been to Device manager, but there was no scanner listed. My printer and broadband USB cable modem also weren't present.

It does list Computer, Disk drives, Display adapters, etc.

VoG II 20:33 03 Jan 2006
  Stuartli 22:21 03 Jan 2006

Your printer will be found from Start>Settings>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes or from the sub-menu from Settings. Right click>Properties.

Same for the USB modem under Network Connections (connection configuration from Internet Options>Connection tab).

jz 06:46 04 Jan 2006

Thanks again for your help everyone. I reinstalled the driver, but this didn't help. I will investigate further this evening.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?