uninstalling vista and installing xp - error

lilu878 14:53 28 Jun 2007

Hi! so i was trying to do a clean install of windows xp because i bought windows ultimate a while ago but decided i wanted to stick to xp like i previously had . Now here is my problem when I boot from the xp pro cd at first everything loads up but when it says windows setup starting it immediately stops before displaying it and gives me a stop error 0x0000007e and it mention this pci.sys at the bottom. I've read in microsoft about it but quite honestly it is a little hard to understand however i've tried their solutions my bios are updated dell inc A10, i do have enough RAM 2Gb and enough hard disk space 63GB. Also i read that this problem is very common when trying to install xp that you need a cd with windows xp sp2 which mine is and still i get this error. Microsoft also proposes that you use the restoration console to expand that driver however when i put the xp cd and press R it doesnt go anywhere the error appears; also i dont know if im supposed to use vista's restoration console since vista is the one installed.. however, I got vista from one of those cds you can use on multiple computers and i dont have it :( please if you could help me out here and tell me what i need to do to fix this problem would be very appreciated!!

tobyb121 14:57 28 Jun 2007

To downgrade from vista, you need to have a blank hard drive, so you will need to reformat it, you will need some formatting software to do this, and it will need to be a live cd version, such as gparted click here this will then give you a blank hard drive on which to install xp, so you will need to back up any data.

Press Man 14:59 28 Jun 2007

Try reformatting the drive, do'nt use the quick format use the full format option.

lilu878 16:51 28 Jun 2007

But how can i make a full format option if the xp cd wont load the install setup before giving me the error hence i cant get to the part where i would be able to delete the partition where vista is installed .. :( suggestions?

tobyb121 20:11 28 Jun 2007

this is why you will need a seperate prgram such as gparted, which is a lightweight version of linux that can be run straight from a cd, and then allows you to manage your hard drives from there

lilu878 23:09 28 Jun 2007

Thanks for all the help :)!! i was finally able to get into the windows setup I selected the partition C: where vista is installed deleted it, created a new one on teh unpartioned space and then formatted it however when the computer restart and i try to install xp on the partition c it tells me there is already an OS there!! so what's going on? didnt it formatted it already or what.. im frustrated :( please help!

Press Man 11:01 29 Jun 2007

click here go to the information called "Booting from a floppy disk" and download the "Bootable Floppy Disk Creator For [email protected] Running this will allow you to completely wipe all information from your drive/partion. Please read the product overview and instructions for use first, this programme is very efficient, therefore if there is anything you need to backup then do so first.

lilu878 15:44 29 Jun 2007

Again thanks everyone for your help, i was finally able to format it and install xp pro. However, a lot of the drivers where missing after installing it from the DELL site i've encountered a problem, when i try to connect to a LAN i get the message "local area network: cable is unplugged" on the dell site i found the ethernet driver for my inspiron e1405 a broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller or that's what it says i have but since its not working im not sure if i have the right driver and i dont even know where to find the info about the NIC and such to make sure if i've installed what i really need for my computer.. the wireless is working without any problems.. please help me out, where do i find the information i need to look for what driver i need for the LAN conenction

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?