Uninstalling unlisted program

Channel 17:42 14 Jan 2009

I have a program installed,Oxford Reference Shelf,but it doesn't appear in Programs Files, nor in the Add/Remove programs list.I want to uninstall it, but how ? I searched for it with no result.It was originally from a CD, but now runs straight from the Start folder.
I have Windows XP

birdface 17:58 14 Jan 2009

If in msconfig untick it.Have you tried Start.Search.

rawprawn 18:04 14 Jan 2009

Oxford Reference Shelf-- Have you looked for the name of the originator?
Look at properties and try to find out more.

Sea Urchin 18:05 14 Jan 2009

Maybe remove it from the StartUp folder - Start/All Programs/Startup

VCR97 20:42 14 Jan 2009

Have a look for OUP (Oxford University Press).

woodchip 21:10 14 Jan 2009

In Windows Explorer Program may be in the Program Files, if it is look in the Folder for a Uninstall file and double click it

Channel 10:08 15 Jan 2009

Thank you all- but it's not in msconfig; I'd tried Search, and again putting OUP- no results at all ! Neither is it in the Startup folder.I tried Properties, and the program is in the Start>All programs,and E/ORS.(E being my main disk.)The folder contains no uninstall feature.It's certainly not in the Program files folder either.So I'm no further forward in solving it.

iscanut 10:22 15 Jan 2009

Have you tried the Unistaller in CCleaner ?
Download from here if you don't have it and give it a go. When you have got it running, select Tools, Uninstall and scroll down to see if your rogue program shows anywhere. If it does, uninstall it.

iscanut 10:22 15 Jan 2009

Forgot the link to CCleaner download click here

ambra4 10:34 15 Jan 2009

Forget Microsoft Add/Remove program as it leave files in the registry and on the hard drive which

causes problems uninstalling and reinstalling programs use this program Revo Uninstaller to uninstall

all programs even ones without uninstall program

click here

If the windows request message to reboot appear DO NOT click the NO button Revo will now search

the registry and hard drive for any files that is left over and not required, just click the Select All button

and the Delete button if any left over files are found once the “Finish” button appear you can than

reboot the computer

DieSse 13:05 15 Jan 2009

Revo is the way to go, if it can find the software.

Some older programs don't use the registry - and with them just deleting the relevant files is enough - if you can find them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?