Uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2005

User-731D3F8D-D8EB-4CD3-BAC35C722C57B032 22:15 14 Jan 2009

I have a PC that is 4.5 years old and I’m still using Norton Internet Security 2005. I’ve decided to upgrade to the latest Norton – NIS 2009 but have heard about the potential, horrific complications regarding upgrades or uninstalls of previous versions. Can anyone advise on how I should go about successfully uninstalling the previous version? I will be buying the full edition of NIS 2009 rather than the upgrade product.

I’m also concerned about later versions of Norton slowing down my machine, hence I’ve still stuck with 2005 until now, but I have read good reports of NIS 2009 so have decided to take the plunge. Can anyone also comment if the following PC spec will be fast enough still to cope with the (I’m assuming) more resource demanding software?

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+
2.20 GHz, 1Gb of RAM, 160GB hard drive
Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3

Can anyone also point out what key benefits I will get upgrading from NIS 2005 to NIS 2009? I currently keep my virus definitions up-to-date but not sure I’m missing out on new, essential features for today’s security risks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stuartli 22:23 14 Jan 2009

Use the Norton Removal Tool:

click here

birdface 23:47 14 Jan 2009

if you are going to pay for it shop around and you will probably get it for half the price.Or you can download a new 360 beta version for free.

Thanks Buteman. It's currently going for £21.47 on Amazon.co.uk and at PC World. Seems quite a good deal to me.

Thanks Stuartli. The Norton Removal Tool did the trick!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?