Uninstalling Norton AV - how hard?

Halmer 16:45 03 Jan 2006

My new PC came with three months free Norton 2005.

I would prefer to uninstall it and use Zone Alarm and AVG free but I daren't touch it now that I've got everything working fine.

I am also tempted to subscribe in 3 months time to Norton but it seems a bit unfair that I am forced down this route because the product does not uninstall properly.

Any thoughts please?

dth 16:52 03 Jan 2006

If you look at their website there are instructions how to remove the software I believe.

mgmcc 16:53 03 Jan 2006

If you cannot uninstall it properly from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, there are tools to remove it on Symantec's website - click here=

stylehurst 16:59 03 Jan 2006

Norton 2005 will uninstall properly using Add/Remove Programs

pj123 17:04 03 Jan 2006

Very hard. It took me quite a while to get everything Norton off my computer.

I don't think I would be tempted to have anything Norton on my computer anymore.

You would be better off with AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Zonealarm.

Spike_2006 07:36 04 Jan 2006

Personally I would suggest Norton 2006, it is more useful (and can be more expensive) but it scans and quarantines better than ZoneAlarm (r)TM and others. Norton security suite is worth haing too, but its really up to you. Never use demos, they waste computer space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?