uninstalling norton

kingussie 09:27 15 Oct 2007

My Norton av has expired and since it has annoying pop ups, I am thinking of removing it and going for AV.
Do I first download AV but not install it and then remove Norton while not connected to the internet or is there another method

howard64 09:37 15 Oct 2007

yes download first and put it somewhere safely. Next go to start - run - msconfig - startup and take the tick out of the left hand box for anything with the norton name - apply. Reboot then put a tick in the left hand box to not be told everytime and then go to control panel - add/remove progs and remove norton. Load your new AV I use avg and have never had a problem [so far].

tullie 09:49 15 Oct 2007

Download the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec to get rid of all remanents

Sparkly 10:31 15 Oct 2007

tullie run this
click here

Sparkly 10:32 15 Oct 2007

Sorry meant kingussie

kingussie 12:57 15 Oct 2007

On looking at Grisofts web on AVG thre are a multitude and none free..which one please

RobCharles1981 12:59 15 Oct 2007

Go here! -----> click here

kingussie 14:03 15 Oct 2007

Have successfully removed Norton and ionstalled AVG and Zone alarm. When uninstalling Norton,there was a request to turn on Windows firewall which I did. Will this conflict with anything now installed and is there anything else I should instal ?

RobCharles1981 14:13 15 Oct 2007

You should turn off the Windows Firewall, goto Start -- Control ---- and The Secuirty Centre or Windows firewall and turn it off.

You may need some spyware programs. Go over to filehippo.com in the "Antispyware" area get somthing like:

Spyware Terminator
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Search and Distroy
Super Antispyare
AVG Antispyware
A-Squared

These should cover you also update them all.

Also when your on Filehippo get "Ccleaner" to clean up any temp files or registry issues.

kingussie 12:12 17 Oct 2007

Thanks everyone. Since removing Norton and installing AV I have reduced considerably spam mail and removed entirely the annoying Norton pop ups !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone