Uninstalling - Microsoft Hotfix Uninstallers

Graphicool1 14:44 21 Jan 2009

I'm not intending to uninstall the hotfixes, just their uninstallers. There is a megga amount of MB's tied up in them. Ccleaner will do the deed.
What are your thoughts?
Has anyone done it? If so how did it go?

ashdav 15:29 21 Jan 2009

Always do it and never had any problems.
If you don't want to use Ccleaner go to the Windows folder and delete the folders with blue titles (need to enable show hidden files and folders).

ashdav 15:32 21 Jan 2009

I use this myself click here

Graphicool1 15:49 21 Jan 2009

Thanx for that. I downloaded the software. Do you back up the files to disc before uninstalling?
It mentioned something about it being okay to uninstall them as long as your PC isn't having any conflicts or problems, that could be related to hotfix updates. I didn't consider that there might be a connection with the updates and my PC being a tad iffy at the moment.
I was thinking it might be an ailling CPU. I've just downloaded a CPU Stability Test software. But I've yet to run it.
So I think perhaps I should hold fire on uninstalling the uninstallers untill I've sussed everything else out.

Clapton is God 15:59 21 Jan 2009

"So I think perhaps I should hold fire on uninstalling the uninstallers ..."

Why?

Look at it this way - MS updates are intended to improve the security and stability of your operating system. Why, therefore, would you want to uninstall them? In effect the uninstallers are redundant.

Use CCleaner, tick the appropriate box and get on with it! You'll be surprised how much extra HDD space you'll gain. ;-))

Graphicool1 18:12 21 Jan 2009

Well, I bit the bullet! They're all gone now, there's no going back. I followed that up by defraggling my HDD. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Cheers guys, I hope. Till the next time...

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:34 21 Jan 2009

If you use the free prog Ccleaner click here you can set it to delete hotfixes in the advanced section (as well as other rubbish).

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?