"Uninstaller failed to Initialise"

shers_support 09:27 04 Feb 2004

The error message:

"Uninstaller failed to initialise. You may not be able to uninstall this product."

Why does this message appear?

What is it caused by?

What is the possible solution to fix it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 10:14 04 Feb 2004

Where did it appear? And what were you doing? Trying to uninstall a particular program? Under what OS?

Is it true that Greeks answer one question with another?

Who told you that?

rawprawn 10:15 04 Feb 2004

It may be that whatever program you are trying to uninstall was not installed properly in the first place. To fix it you could try uninstalling using a program such as "Smart Uninstaller" or do it through regedit

plsndrs3 11:40 04 Feb 2004

I agree with rawprawn that this is most likely a problem installing all files at the outset - although there may have been enough to actually run the program, there is not enough to remove it or the files are corrupted. I have experienced this in the past and personally install the program again [over itself] and try uninstalling. This has repaired the uninstall part of the program & removing can then be done. Although I have no personal experience of Smart Installer, I am aware that some uninstall programs require them to be loaded BEFORE you install a new program so that it can monitor & log all changes as this allows it to undo them.

HTH

Paul

rawprawn 13:52 04 Feb 2004

plsndrs3 is right, I came back to this thread to suggest that you tried reinstalling the program to try & uninstall again before trying anything else. Smart Uninstaller should pick it up it's worth a try anyway and it's a good program to have & it's freeclick here

shers_support 15:39 04 Feb 2004

Just to clarify, the error appears when I click on the setup.exe file to INSTALL the program. The operating system is Windows XP Professional on NTFS.

plsndrs3 15:52 04 Feb 2004

I thought that you were trying to remove the program. This is not as drastic as it sounds and is easily sorted. It now seems that the files to remove the program may not load successfully - possibly due to NTFS which is part of XP. I agree with rawprawn that you need to install Smart Uninstaller [or whatever] first, then install the program after a reboot. This means that if the uninstaller fails to load you will still be able to remove the program using the uninstaller program.

paul

rawprawn 16:55 04 Feb 2004

Well said plsndrs3

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?