Uninstalled Norton Still shows in Security center

zemdarin 14:09 11 Jul 2007

I recently came back from Spain where a friend asked me to uninstall Norton 2007. I did it the normal way through add/remove which didn't actually uninstall it properly. I then reinstalled it went to Norton and downloaded their uninstaller. This seemed to do it but afterwards I couldn't install another Firewall or Antivirus without crashing his computer.
Looking in the Security Center in Control Panel, it still showed as Antivirus and Firewall were still Norton. Can anybody else explain how you are to rid the computer of Norton Completely please. I tested it at Shields Up and his computer passed all the tests.

Trackrat 14:21 11 Jul 2007
  zemdarin 14:36 11 Jul 2007

Thanks for link but I already tried that. Have also backed up the registry searched for all Norton and Symantec reg files and deleted those as well. All folders have been deleted in Program Files, but still it shows in the Security Center and doesn't allow any other firewall or Antivirus to be installed. So where else can you look for seemingly sneaky hidden Norton Files. I know Norton works well on some computers but on others it is a nightmare causing speeds of a tortoise.

Hi ... Try this removal tool from Norton. It has worked every time for me.

click here

zemdarin 19:42 11 Jul 2007

Thanks Trev I used that as well, It just seems a later version of the one trackrat gave me the URL for. I have sent that via a zipped folder to my friend in Spain and asked him to give it a try again. It seems annoying that it doesn't un-install completely

ambra4 05:16 12 Jul 2007

Try this uninstaller

This is the only that I know that will remove Norton completely

Just run and uninstall all Norton programs listed

live update etc

ambra4 05:17 12 Jul 2007

Sorry

MyUninstaller v1.34

Web Site: click here

palinka 11:17 12 Jul 2007

I've found that this works for left-behind bits of Norton : go to start>search>all files & folders and type in Norton. Delete all it finds. You may have to delete them in a particular order and one at a time otherwise a message appears "can't delete..".
I also ignore the "deleting this may stop other things working" messages that it sometimes throws up; I've never had any problems as a result.
Then you can repeat the process using Symantec as the search name, instead of Norton - just in case there's anything else left behind.

zemdarin 11:36 12 Jul 2007

Thank you Ambra and palinka. I downloaded the my uninstall and sent him the zipped file to try. I tried it and liked it but new version was 1.35 I have already done the search bit on his computer while I was there and deleted everything but it still shows in his Security Center and worse still doesn't allow him to install any other Firewall and Anti virus, but as I said it still came up positive in Shields-up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone