uninstalled Norton 360 - lost connection

Beki Mac 19:01 21 Aug 2009

Hi,

I've joined this forum today because I'm familiar with PC Advisor and I'm at my witts end!

I took my Son's PC to a local PC repair guy just to ask for advice on improving it's performance. no specific problems, just wanted to make it a bit quicker.

Vista Home Premium 32bit AMD 9550 Quad-Core.

His advice was to remove Norton 360 (which I didn't like anyway) because it uses so much. Which I let him do, I think he used the norton Removal Tool, and in it's place he installed AntiVir & Malaware.

We bought the PC home and now have no internet connection!

It's a wireless PC using a Speedtouch wireless usb adapter and Orange Livebox.

I've spent over an hour on the phone to a guy from Orange, he tried tonnes of stuff including a factory reset on the Livebox, but to no avail.

I contacted Norton who basically told me it was nothing to do with them.

Please, does anyone have any ideas???

Cheers, Beki x

accordion 19:43 21 Aug 2009

Have you tried uninstalling the Speedtouch drivers and reinstalling it?

Dave

accordion 19:47 21 Aug 2009

PS - not impressed by what the local PC repair man left you with. Avira Antivir isn't one of the better programs in my opinion.

I assume he didn't install any firewall either? If he did, then it might be the firewall blocking access to your wireless network.

You should go back to him and ask him to sort it out for you. (At no charge)

Dave

tullie 21:07 21 Aug 2009

I use Norton360 on a bog standard PC without any problems with using too many resources

Ashrich 23:30 21 Aug 2009

Ok , you say you have no internet connection , how are you trying to connect ? Is the adapter showing in device manager ? Assuming Windows is managing the wireless connection , can you do a scan for wireless networks at all ? , if so is yours visible , are you able to connect to the live box but not the internet ? Sorry for so many questions but knowing the answers will help .

Ashley

Beki Mac 09:17 22 Aug 2009

Hello everyone, and thanks so much for your replies :)

tullie, glad you are happy with your Norton. I use Norton 360 v.2 on my own wired desktop, and don't really have any issues with it (now). However, my Son is 14, he's a gamer, and doing GCSE Media and ICT next year, so we wanted his PC to be as quick as possible.

Dave & Ashley, he has put on Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Edition v.9.0.0.394. I'm not even sure if this uses has a firewall! It has AntiVir Guard? Anyway, I disabled it, along with Malwarebytes whilst trying to connect but it didn't help.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Speedtouch drivers, but when I put the Livebox into pairing mode an error occurs, it won't pair with the adapter.

The adapter is in the device manager, but under 'other devices' with a yellow triangle.

Now, it gets more confusing! Up until I reinstalled the adapter drivers the Livebox was showing up under Networks in the Control Panel; as if it was picking up the Livebox but just couldn't connect, but now it's gone, the livebox isn't even there, I have no networks.

I feel like crying, how can something like removing Norton cause all this! It was all fine 2 days ago :(

Thanks again for your help, Beki x

Beki Mac 09:50 22 Aug 2009

Ok, quick update. Got the Speedtouch adapter going, so I'm back to square one.

I let Windows automatically retrieve the drivers from the installation CD and it worked fine.

When I goto Network & Sharing Centre in the Control Panel it look like this:

this computer-unidentified network-x-internet

Access: Local Only
Connection: Livebox
Signal Strenghth: Good

Thanks again in advance for any suggestions folks.
Beki x

sunnystaines 11:08 22 Aug 2009

norton 360 v2 is dreadful, you can get a free update to norton 360v3 till your licence expires.

ver3 is another world fast,efficient and not sluggish on resources, give it a short try.

Beki Mac 19:02 23 Aug 2009

Thanks sunnystaines, but I need to get back online first!

No more suggestions? Anyone??

I guess I'll have to take it back to the fool that broke it. He'll probably suggest a reinsall of Windows, not the outcome I wanted.

:(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?