uninstall windows

ABI2GAIL 20:32 03 Dec 2006

Is it possible to uninstall windows xp? If so how?

Totally-braindead 20:34 03 Dec 2006

Yes you can but the question is what are you proposing to replace it with?
A computer without an Operating System is just a very large paperweight, you need an Operating System to do anything.

ABI2GAIL 20:38 03 Dec 2006

Well I have lots of fan mail on a regular basis so i guess it would be a very paper weight!lol. my sister has a major problem and has tried running xp over the top of the existing one but to no avail so thought it may be better re installing from scratch. thanks

Totally-braindead 20:46 03 Dec 2006

Lots of advice here click here but do you have a full windows XP disk or a restore disk as it makes a big difference.

johnem 20:52 03 Dec 2006

ABI2GAIL,
No need to uninstall windows, insert windows XP disc and start up computer. Follow on screen instructions for new istallation. You will receive a warning message that an existing version of windows has been detected. ou will be asked if you wish to format "C", proceed with yes and then follow the onscreen advice. Once windows has been satisfactorily installed, you will need to re-install all of you programmes. Hope that you have a backup of your data, as this will be lost if it is stored on the "C" drive. Does your existing XP run at all? If so, try to back up your data to another disk or partition.Main thing is to take your time and not rush anything. Good luck.

ABI2GAIL 21:19 03 Dec 2006

thanks will give it a go

ventanas 21:53 03 Dec 2006

If you have a full cd click here

Full instructions with every window that will appear

Trackrat 21:59 03 Dec 2006

just a point, if you are going to do a fresh install you will need the motherboard & graphics card drivers to be reinstalled as well when you have the OS back on.
If the disk is SP1 you will also need to put SP2 on and you will have to download all the Windows updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone