uninstall vista

hedonuser 08:33 31 May 2007

I just want rid of Vista. Vista refuses to look at the scanner. HP Deskjet 1280 and Epson C60 are so unrelable they are unusable. I have a new Acer Aspire 5610z. This has a 10gbyte hidden partition containing drivers etc. and c: for programs and d: for data. Can I format the c: partition and install XP Pro.?
Can anyone advise please.

Hedonuser

Pine Man 08:55 31 May 2007

If this laptop came with Vista pre-installed the hidden partition will be useless if you install XP because it will have been designed to carry out a recovery to Vista and have all the drivers for that o/s not XP.

If you want to install XP I would format the complete drive then partition it the way you want it before installing XP.

ventanas 09:21 31 May 2007

I would persevere, Vista knocks spots of XP and a Vista driver for the 1280 is readily available on the HP website. As for the C60, this is quite old now and really I wouldn't bother with it any more.
Scanners have always been a problem and are becoming increasingly redundant with the popularity of digital cameras. You don't state which make and model it is though, there may be Vista drivers available. My 4 year old Canon works perfectly with Vista, as do both my printers (again Canon).

J B 10:15 31 May 2007

I would do what "ventanas" says. Visa is a great OS and drivers for your HP are on the website. I have a HP C3180 and it works perfectly. J.B

Pine Man 18:28 31 May 2007

I certainly agree with both ventanas and JB - Vista is a much better system than XP and worth persisting with BUT if you can't get on with it you will have to do as I suggest above and also try and find the necessary XP drivers for your hardware.

hedonuser 08:51 01 Jun 2007

Thanks for the comments and advise.
I have resurrected my desktop machine and have connected it by cable to the laptop and intend to use it as a printer server with the scanner as well. Not a pretty solution but Pineman has a telling point, I have made a backup of the drvers but they are unlikrly to run XP.
Many thanks again for your comments and I shall say that the tem is closed.
Bye

Hedonuser

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone