Uninstall Staroffice 7 without tragedy

Tankie 74 18:35 20 Aug 2006

I have installed a freebee copy of Staroffice 7 and opted for it to operate only on Excel. I have decided I want to uninstall it but it has altered some Excel files. I have a copy of Staroffice 7 on a disk. The main file affected is a large spreadsheet. If I uninstall SO7 then there is no trace of the spreadsheet on the computer. If I reinstall SO7 then the spreadsheet is back in the condition I don't want. I have tried System Restore but that does no good. I did not backup before I installed SO7. How can I get rid of SO7 in the spreadsheet so thats its in the same condition that it was before I installed SO7, 6 weeks ago. I am using Windows XL.

FelixTCat 19:02 20 Aug 2006

Tankie,

Removing Star Office won't remove the spreadsheet - it may just be losing its association. Can you save the spreadsheet as an .xls file from SO?

Regards,

Felix

Tankie 74 10:26 21 Aug 2006

Thank for that FeixTCat. Ive done it and it works fine. Before I uninstall Staroffice again and probably for the last time how does anyone you rate it? Is it any good?

FelixTCat 11:41 21 Aug 2006

Tankie,

Whilst I don't use it much, it is a pretty good program. Its files are broadly compatible with Microsoft Office, though I'm not sure that it would cope with something full of macros etc.

Its Open Office sister, identical except for the database, I believe, is an absolute bargain - it's free.

Regards,

Felix

dave24 16:10 21 Aug 2006

I have been using Star Office 5.2 for about 5 years. It is broadly compatible with MS Office, but not entirely. If you want an alternative to MS Office, it could be Star Office or Open Office.

Tankie 74 17:24 21 Aug 2006

Thanks everyone. StarOffice 8 is now out but not for free. I will keep the disk with SO7 on but uninstall for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone