uninstall part of MS Office?

palinka 22:40 16 Nov 2006

The friend I'm helping is running a PC on XP, but it is short on RAM. I will probably install more in the end, but meanwhille I think it would help if I removed part of MS Office. At present the whole program is installed but all she will use is Word (and perhaps Excel?)
If she had the disks I would uninstall Office and then re-install just the bits she needs, but I think the PC was bought 2nd hand & she has no knowledge about any disks that came with it.
Is it possible to uninstall parts of Office? and if so, how? "Uninstall" seems to uninstall all of it - or maybe not?

LastChip 22:45 16 Nov 2006

to un-install components, you need the CD.

terryf 22:48 16 Nov 2006

Uninstall all of Office then re-install Open Office but only the parts you need. You can download from click here Open Office will read any Office file and can save either as Office or Open Office format. OO looks very much like MOo

terryf 22:48 16 Nov 2006

Sorry MOo should have been MO

Strawballs 22:51 16 Nov 2006

Have you used MSCONFIG and removed all the programs from the start up that don't need to be there ie everything except AV because unless they are running they won't be using ram.

Z1100 23:10 16 Nov 2006

If you are short of HDD Space uninstall but it will have no effect on RAM Consumption.

Strawballs 23:53 16 Nov 2006

That would have been next on my list , does palinka meen hard drive space because it seems to be a common misconception that a bigger hard drive meens more memory.

palinka 08:04 17 Nov 2006

in fact it's short of both!
Thank you all for your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?