Uninstall orphan link

Enoch 05:49 17 Oct 2006

I have done a major cleanup on my PC (XPhome), deleting unused programmes and the like. I have done this by either the programmes own "uninstall" or by the "Add and Remove programme".

In the case of one programme, when I go into the "Add and Remove programme" I have found one particular programme, which is NOT showing on my "Start>All Programmes" I get the popup which states cannot uninstall, file does not exsist>

Is there anyway to remove this orphan link without reinstalling the programme that has been removed

BurrWalnut 07:50 17 Oct 2006

To remove unwanted registry entries for programs that have been uninstalled, Start, Run, type regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.
Expand the Uninstall and in the right pane, right click and delete any unwanted entries.

Create a system restore point before making the deletions in case anything goes wrong.

Enoch 08:36 17 Oct 2006

BurrWalnut

If that is the only way to delete the entry, I think I will pass. I am really VERY nervous of interfering with the registry having heard horrific storys of people who have fiddled with it and screwed up their whole system.

Thanks anyway

gudgulf 08:51 17 Oct 2006

CCleaner has an add/remove tool that will remove erroneous entries in your Add/Remove programs list.

click here

If the program installed using the Windows installer then the Windows Installer Cleanup utility may sort you out click here

Read the instructions for it and make sure you only tick the program(s) you want to clear...it will completely remove anything ticked.

rawprawn 08:53 17 Oct 2006

click here
Try ASdvanced Windows Care, it's free and has a good registry cleaner (which also makes restore points so that you can get back)It also does a lot of other jobs including real time spyware protection.
I found it a very worthwhile and trustworthy program,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017