Uninstall MS System Restore?

Steadfast 09:58 03 Oct 2005

Having recently installed Symantec SystemWorks 2005, which includes Norton Ghost and GoBack, I used Ghost to back up an image onto my hard drive, which reduced my free space from 51% to 21%, so I am looking for things to delete. Presumably the System Restore which comes with Windows XP is now redundant, but how do I get rid of it - it does not appear under Add/Remove Programs? Or is this a bad idea?

SANTOS7 10:09 03 Oct 2005

In my oppinion it is a very bad. You cannot delete it,but you can turn it off. if you choose to use go-back which is the most obtrusive piece of software i have come accross you will probably end up with lees drive space. After optomising your PC yuo can turn off restore which will delete all previous restore points and give you back drive space, (then create a restore point)
If you are low on HDD resources have you considered ading another HDD

SANTOS7 11:02 03 Oct 2005

Don't know what happened there parts of thread missing, as was PCA for about half an hour.
If used correctly System restore works very well,
some third party apps. like go-back (used it for a couple of days as part of system suite like you)
seem to want to take over your PC, and are a constant drain of resources...

VoG II 11:06 03 Oct 2005

I don't like GoBack either.

In Windows DiskCleanup, More options tab, there is the option to delete all but the most recent restore point.

SANTOS7 11:10 03 Oct 2005

Good morning VoG, a little more info to consider

Not supported
The following operating systems are not supported by Norton GoBack:
NEC PC98
Windows 95, Windows 95B
Windows NT
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows XP Server edition

The following configurations are not supported:
Norton GoBack is not supported on drives compressed with a disk-level compression utility, such as DriveSpace and DoubleSpace. However, GoBack is fully compatible with file-level compression, such as that provided by PKZIP, WinZip, and ARJ.
Norton GoBack does not support systems with more than 4 primary partitions.
Norton GoBack does not protect removable media, such as floppy disks, Zip disks, and so forth.
Norton GoBack is not supported with LILO or dual-boot Linux/Windows partitions.
Drives not recognized during the initial BIOS hardware identification phase of the boot process or that require special device drivers.
Computers running in MS-DOS Compatibility mode.
Drive systems using striping (RAID), dynamic disks, simple volumes, mirrored volumes, or spanned volumes.
Norton GoBack does not support installation on disk drives one terabyte or larger.

J B 11:10 03 Oct 2005

I agree with SANTOS7, it is a very bad move. You don't have to turn system restore off, however if you do need the additional disk space go to control panel, performance and maintenance, disk cleanup and run it, when it is done click on more options, then click on the top option to free up more disk space. By using this option you will delete all buut the most recent restore point. Then you can adjust the amount of disk space that system restore can use at any given time. Hope this helps. J.B.

MAJ 11:11 03 Oct 2005

As well as what SANTOS7 advises, try turning off the Hibernate option in XP. The Hibernation option uses the same amount of space as your amount of RAM, for example, if you have 1GB of RAM, Hibernation will use 1GB of disk space to operate.
To turn of Hibernation, right-click on your Desktop, choose Properties, click the Screensaver tab, followed by the "Power" button and on the Hibernate tab, untick "Enable Hibernation", click OK, Apply and OK to exit. But if you're getting that low on space, buying another hard drive and installing it along with your present drive is the best option.

Steadfast 19:01 03 Oct 2005

No-one has actually said "uninstall GoBack", but I get the message! Thanks for the advice - very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?