uninstall internet explorer

Hucky 11:41 24 Jul 2003

hi guys...i am trying 2 uninstall internet explorer because i have problems with it but i cannot find it in the add/remove programmein the control panel...any thoughts...?

what is the problem, its best not to remove IE as various things in the OS (ie. quicklaunch) rely on it. if you dont like it use a different browser, to fix a problem with it try reinstalling version 6 and instal the updates.
but tell us the problem we may be able to help.

MichelleC 11:47 24 Jul 2003

Try this:

Deleting IE

Look in your c:\windows\inf folder and see if you find any files named oemxx.inf which have a length of 0 (zero), where the xx can be any number.
There could be potentially many thousands. If you do, you need to erase these.

Here's a MS article: click here;en-us;281967 : Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware

Now go to Start/Find, and type wininit.ini
When found, highlight the file and hit 'delete'

Warning: leave Wininit.exe, Wininit.bak, and Win.ini alone

Go to C:\Windows\Temp, and empty the folder completely.

Go to Microsoft Download Center ( click here? ), and select the version of IE you'd like to download.

Now shut down as many running programs as possible, especially your antivirus, and try downloading and installing IE again.

Gongoozler 11:50 24 Jul 2003

As far as I know, you can't uninstall IE because it's an integral part of Windows. Add/remove programs only lets you revert to your previous version or repair your currently installed version. As horiz5 says, you can install a different browser and use that.

sil_ver 11:56 24 Jul 2003

It's possible to remove IE from Win98 using '98lite' get it here click here but it won't work on any other flavour (as far as I know)

Jester2K II 11:57 24 Jul 2003

Or tell us what problems and we can solve them...

Also try upgarding to IE6 if you haven't already.

bennyc 12:03 24 Jul 2003

You can do it, its classed a component to Windows if you locate it in Add/Remove on one of the tabs its Windows Components and untick the box for Internet Explorer

sil_ver 12:05 24 Jul 2003

I believe there is a registry hack to show the 'hidden components' of Windows in the 'add/remove components' section, being a coward I'm not prepared to risk trying to tell you how as I've only just read an article in this months PCExtreme on how to show Windows Messenger which is also a hidden component in add/remove components. Perhaps someone more knowledgable can chip in.

hadileen 12:36 24 Jul 2003

use win98 lite it's a freeware, and it does the job without any mess

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?