Uninstall files

sajeev 18:49 17 Oct 2008

When I go to Local Drive C- Folder Windows, I get hundreds of folders with the name $NtUninstall followed by a number. On opening any of these folders, I see it contains a Folder called Spuninst and several other files.
What are these Folder and files? Are they necessary or can they be deleted?
Thanks
Sajeev

MarvintheAndroid 18:54 17 Oct 2008

These are service pack "undo" files and are not required once you are sure that the update has been successful.

click here

Marv

MarvintheAndroid 18:57 17 Oct 2008

Sorry, that was Win2K but the same principle applies.

Marv

sajeev 19:09 17 Oct 2008

Thanks Marvin
The link takes me to the SP page.
Do I have to back up the Registry before I delete?
How will I establish that the update was successful?
Thanks

MarvintheAndroid 19:16 17 Oct 2008

Backup registry ? Always a good idea. However, as I said that article was for Win2K. I believe you can just delete the files in Windows Explorer (having made a note of the names), then find the updates in Add/Remove Programs and when you try to uninstall the ones you deleted it will say it can't and give you the option to remove them from the list.

The update was successful if your system is working normally. You only have to "roll back" is something goes wrong.

Marv

sajeev 19:31 17 Oct 2008

Windows folder has 760 folders and 6500+ files.
Add-Remove has only a dozen files named Update etc.
None of the names of the folders/files in the Windows folder matches those in the Add-Remove list.
Still safe to delete?
Sajeev

MarvintheAndroid 19:59 17 Oct 2008

Yes. The $ indicates it is a backup file, and the Spuninst refers to service packs. Many of the folders will be associated with a major update, for example a service pack. Others will be individual live updates from Microsoft.

You don't have to remove them from the programs list if you don't want to, it just keeps things tidy. You may need to select "Show Updates" in the add/remove list. Generally the KB numbers will match for the individual Internet Explorer and Security updates.

Marv

Technotiger 20:03 17 Oct 2008

If still a bit worried about it, make yourself a fresh System Restore point (this is all you need to do when advised to back-up the Registry).

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and choose to Create a Restore Point.

provider 2 22:14 17 Oct 2008

Except for $hf_mig$, you can delete them. ($hf_mig$ is apparently used for coordination by future patches.)

You might like to check this article:

click here

sajeev 22:15 17 Oct 2008

Thanks for all the advice and the reassurance.
Shall work on it and see what happens.
Sajeev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone