Uninstall

tes 09:07 31 Dec 2007

Which is the best way to uninstall a program. Use the remove facility in the control panel or the uninstall that is built in to some software?

tullie 09:14 31 Dec 2007

The programmes own uninstaller,if it has one.

johnnyrocker 09:14 31 Dec 2007

the programs own uninstall feature if it has one imho.

johnny

johnnyrocker 09:15 31 Dec 2007

must type quicker;)

johnny.

Taff™ 09:15 31 Dec 2007

Good question and one that will provide some debate. For my part I always use Add/Remove from Control Panel and use Ccleaner occasionally to fix any problems in the registry. Others may argue that the software`s own uninstall facility works best but I`ve never seen a convincing argument for either method so I`ll be interested to see this one unfold.

Taff™ 09:17 31 Dec 2007

Here we go! Now let`s have a convincing reason.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:04 31 Dec 2007

The programs own uninstaller, espeially if antispyware or antivirus programs. (Norton is a good example).

The program may have components that are hidden from windows for various reasons (antipiracy for one), and windows control panel uninstler will not find and remove them.

Taff™
Convincing enough?

Flying Teddy 15:46 31 Dec 2007

This is my uninstall routine - it comes with all the usual health warnings!

1) Use the application's own uninstall programme

2) Run | Search for the name of the application and delete those files/directories which are obviously related to the app.

3) Run CCleaner and/or any other registry cleaner of your choice, preferably twice (to clear away any redirector entries).

4) (and this is the really dodgy bit) Run Regedit and search for the name of the application and the name of its manufacturer; delete those entries which are obviously related to (and only to) the app. Usual caveats about registry backups etc.

I am constantly surprised with the amount of dross this routine turns up which should really have been cleared away by the uninstaller.

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, some apps, particularly AV programmes, have website-based uninstallers and they should be used in step 1) if available.

Taff™ 19:29 31 Dec 2007

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I`ll concede slightly with Norton in that the older versions pre-2006 sometimes needed a helping hand to remove but I blame Symantec for that. Since 2006 I have removed it from dozens of computers using Add/Remove without any problems. You`ve sown a seed of doubt though!

Flying Teddy - I bet you hoover the bed before you get into it! ;0)

Flying Teddy 15:46 01 Jan 2008

That's a good idea!!!

jack 18:10 01 Jan 2008

Especially after Crram cackers Chedder and cocoa
;-}}}

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?