Ratler 20:39 20 Dec 2004

Don't laugh! I formatted a Partition and lost over a thousand family picures.
I used Part.Magic 4 and am running Win98se, the partition has not been accessed since and there are other partitions available.

For the sake of family peace, how do I get them back?


  mattyc_92 20:50 20 Dec 2004

There ARE programs that allow you to recover a partition or an entire hard-disk from the sectors that are left over. This is what the police use to see if ANY illegal files were on a computer at one time!!!!

I don't know of a software title that does this... SOOOOO do a google search on it!!!!

Also consider using programs like NORTON GHOST or ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 8.0 to "backup" your system onto an external drive/other partition in case of you doing something like this again!!!

  beeuuem 21:00 20 Dec 2004

You could try click here

  VoG II 21:02 20 Dec 2004

click here

Run from a different disk; e.g. a floppy.

  VoG II 21:03 20 Dec 2004
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 20 Dec 2004

File recovery :-
R_Studio click here
Easyrecovery click here

  Ratler 12:01 21 Dec 2004

Thank you VoG™ and Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your trouble and interest.
One small point bothers me; does formatting effect a file (jpeg) in the same way as deleting?

Regards --- Ratler.

  Ratler 12:14 21 Dec 2004

Thanks beeuuem for the links but whether I click on your link or copy and paste it into an address bar it is unsuccessful.. Regards --- Ratler.

  Dudey 13:20 21 Dec 2004

Download penguin slueth and copy it to a bootable CD rom. This will also give you access to the USB ports and you can then copy items to a pen drive!!!!!!!

  Dudey 13:22 21 Dec 2004

Just to add - Penguin Slueth runs on Knoppix and all you need to do is set your bios to boot from CD rom!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?