Unformatted drive

tnazgul 19:17 23 Apr 2007

Hello all, new to the forum. Hoping someone can be of help.

I originally had one 80GB drive which had XP Home on it. But I wanted to get vista and XP Pro so decided to buy a new 250GB drive. Therefore wanted Vista on the 250GB dual booted with XP Pro on the old 80GB drive. I also wanted just the system files/folders on partitions.

I therefore followed the following process.
1) Partitioned the new 250GB drive into three. One for Vista system files etc (20GB), one for my XP Home backup(80GB) and another for anything else (rest of drive space).

2) Installed Vista on new 250GB - ALL OK
3) Backed up my XP Home to partition 2 above - ALL OK (using Acronis)
4) Installed XP Pro on old 80GB hard drive (after reformatting drive wiping old XP Home version) - BTW both XP Home and Pro are NTFS.

All was working ok, but as my XP Home backup was only taking up about 60 GB decided to use Partition Manager to re-size it to 60GB freeing up the other 20GB to the any other pot.

In doing so the drive is now saying "unformatted" and I can't access the drive. I must have done something incorrect.

I know the data is still on there as I haven't wiped it but whilst it is saying Unformatted I can't access it. Obviously formatting is out of the question as I need the data. I have tried using a tool called Recover My files but I can't see the data.

Thanks for your replies and I hope you understand the waffle above.

Technotiger 19:24 23 Apr 2007

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. Have you tried a System Restore back to before you did the partitioning?

skidzy 19:30 23 Apr 2007

Try Testdisk to recover your partition. click here

tnazgul 19:31 23 Apr 2007

Yes but it doesnt restore partition info, hence not my drive. It only does your system settings.

skidzy 19:47 23 Apr 2007

I cannot promise you will recover the data,but i do recall someone here at PCA using Testdisk to recover the partition and the data.Though it was a while ago and of course i maybe wrong.

Maybe Drive Rescue can help click here

justme 21:01 23 Apr 2007

Are you sure that you acvtually gave the 20GB to the "Any other" partition and did not leave it as an unformatted partition.

Your original drives would have been "C", "D" and "E". Have you now got a drive "F"?

The partition manager may have created the new drive and windows would call it drive "D" and move the other two drive to "E" and "F".

tnazgul 13:38 25 Apr 2007

skidzy, I owe you one. I downloaded testdisk and it has found my partition. (in restoring this though one of my others is knackered). However, I have now restored my old XP home to an external drive and will just use testdisk to retrieve the one which is now gone. All should be done soon. Many many thanks for your help. There is a lot of stuff on my old drive I still needed..

skidzy 15:46 25 Apr 2007

glad to be of help,good luck with the rest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?