unexplained sounds from PC

goldenorbs 18:00 23 Jan 2008

Every so often I keep getting strange sounds from my PC. Sometimes it is a whistle (like a referee uses at a match) other times a voice comes on and says "you've got company" and other times a sort of loud metallic clang comes from inside the monitor. I have not got a clue what it is all about as nothing else happens or comes up on the screen. Can anyone explain.

Goldenorbs

Technotiger 18:05 23 Jan 2008

Poltergeists?

Other than that can only makes guesses - like Paranormal Radio Interference (PRI), or some sort of radio interference from other electrical items in your home.

Not meaning to be flippant, but I don't really have a clue either - Sorry!

Pineman100 18:16 23 Jan 2008

It sounds as though some of your computer's functions have had strange sound files associated with them.

Try going to Control Panel>Sounds,Speech and Audio Devices>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds tab. This will give you a list of all functions that have sounds allocated to them. You can test the sounds by clicking the little Play button (like a right-pointing arrow). You might find that some of them have these sounds that you're hearing, and you can switch them off.

Of course, you then need to concern yourself with how the sounds got there. Have you got kids who might have been messing around with the computer? If not, I should run a full system virus check, just in case.

Coffee Adict 18:40 23 Jan 2008

Don't use AOL instant messenger by any chance, seems to be its catch phrase.

Technotiger 19:56 23 Jan 2008

Just had another thought - if you use Incredimail, might it be Audible notification of new message(s)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?